How to Mix Patterns Like a Pro
Mixing patterns: it’s a style move that leaves many men (and many women, for that matter) feeling a bit intimidated. When done right, however, it can make a huge impact on your style.
So step out of your suiting comfort zone. Here are five quick tips to help you mix patterns like a pro.
1. Let one pattern dominate, and let the other(s) be the accent.
In this ensemble, the burgundy multi-striped tie stands out most, creating an elegant, classic look. The other patterns work like a supporting cast: they’re present, and they’re important, but they don’t overshadow the main print.
2. Choose a neutral fabric to make contrasting patterns look cohesive.
3. Blend two sizes or scales of the same pattern.
The large checks on the jacket and the small checks on the custom shirt complement each other beautifully. The pocket square adds just the right contrast and color to the overall look.
4. Pair different prints of the same color(s).
5. Find one color that runs throughout each pattern.
Up close, you’ll notice the slight shade of purple on the tie, the personalized jacket, and the pocket square. From far away, you’ll still see a suit that is bold, bright, and stunningly accented.